Monday, April 17, 2006

A Bug's Life...


From large groups down to one little insect, meeting photographic challenges drives me on. This Stagmomantis Carolina, more commonly know as a Praying Mantis was discovered on my brother's porch one afternoon. I quickly set up my tripod & camera, outfitted with extension tubes and a close-up lens and proceeded to compose my photo. Ever so slowly, the mantis turned its head in my direction, revealing either a dilated pupil or a contracted iris. Either way, it's eyes were completely different! Shooting from the side, I could only see one arm as the far one was obscured in the praying position. I thought, if I could manipulate this pose, I may have a more interesting shot. So in what could only be described as a Zen moment, I grabbed a sprig of grass, and oh-so-gently and slowly raised the foreground leg to produce some separation. The mantis continue to hold this pose for 36 frames of slide film and was still looking at me as I left the scene. Being able to live stories like these are why I love photography so much!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ash said...

Fascinating picture and the story behind it!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Incredible shot! which camera do u use?

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home